I first talked with with Dr. Edward Taub the inventor of Constraint Induced (CI) Movement Therapy back in early 2008 (BSP 28). CI Therapy is a revolutionary rehabilitation method based on the principles of brain plasticity. Evidence supporting its effectiveness has mounted since we last talked. Unfortunately, because it is so different from traditional physical therapy, it requires special training and it is still not covered by many major insurance companies. The Veteran's Administration recognizes it as the preferred treatment for Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) but they currently have no therapists trained in the method.
I have a recorded a new interview with Dr. Taub, which I have split into two parts. The rest of the interview will be posted next month. This month's episode (BSP 119) focuses on how CI Therapy works and also provides a brief historical overview of the neuroscientific discovery of brain plasticity.
How to get this episode:
- FREE: audio mp3 (click to stream, right click to download)
- Episode Transcript [Buy for $1]
- Premium Subscribers have unlimited access to all old episodes and transcripts.
- New episodes of the Brain Science Podcast are ALWAYS FREE. All episodes posted after January 1, 2013, are free. See the individual show notes for links the audio files.
References that mention Dr. Taub's work:
- Train Your Mind, Change Your Brain: How a New Science Reveals Our Extraordinary Potential to Transform Ourselves by Sharon Begley; Available from Audible.com (discussed in BSP 10)
- The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science by Norman Doidge; Available from Audible.com (see also BSP 26)
Related Episodes (besides 10 and 26):
- BSP 28: Dr. Taub's first interview on the Brain Science Podcast
- Interviews with Dr. Michael Merzenich: BSP 54 and BSP 105
- BSP 113: Dalai Lama discusses Healing and Brain Plasticity with both Dr. Taub and Dr. Merzenich, along with Dr. Norman Doidge
- Please post reviews on Stitcher or share the Brain Science Podcast when ever you can.
- Next month I will post the rest of Dr. Taub's interview.
- My Books and Ideas podcast is now available on Stitcher and a new episode will be coming out in June.
- Check out our Premium Subscription to get episode transcripts and unlimited access to over 100 back episodes.
- Check out the FREE Brain Science Mobile APP for your smart phone. It is a great way to get Premium Content and every episode contains free EXTRAS. This month you can get BSP 34 (described above) for free.
- Please share your feedback about this episode by sending email to email@example.com or going to the Brain Science Podcast Discussion Forum at http://brainscienceforum.com. You can also post to our fan pages on Facebook or Google+.
- Don't forget to sign up for the FREE Brain Science Podcast Newsletter so that you never miss a new episode.